Another popular nutritional ergogenic aid is the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs): leucine, isoleucine, and valine. In the following review of Swolverine’s BCAA 2:1:1 Powder, we will discuss (among other things) how this supplement works, its ingredients, benefits, pros, cons, taste, pricing, and side effects. We hope the information below will be helpful in making your final decision as to whether or not you’re the right candidate for this product.
What are BCAAs and what do they do?
The three branched-chain amino acids (BCAA; leucine, isoleucine, and valine) are essential amino acids, that is, they cannot be synthesized by the human body and must therefore be provided in the diet.
BCAAs are the only AAs that are used exclusively for the synthesis of tissue protein and not for other hormones; thus, their value is paramount. The BCAAs cannot be broken down in the liver like the other AAs.
Leucine has anti-catabolic properties and is possibly the most important of the three BCAAs because of its capacity to stimulate muscle protein synthesis. Isoleucine is both glucogenic and ketogenic. It helps prevent muscle wastage and promotes tissue repair – important for anyone on a training program. It’s also important as it helps maintain blood glucose levels. Finally, valine promotes nitrogen equilibrium, repairs tissue, and can stimulate the central nervous system – essential for optimal cognitive functioning.
Brief product description & key product features
Swolverine’s BCAA 2:1:1 drink powder is a synergistic combination of Branched Chain Amino Acids, Electrolytes, and L-Glutamine designed to help provide intra-workout hydration, fight fatigue, and optimize recovery.
Key product features
- The optimal ratio of leucine, isoleucine, and valine (2:1:1)
- 1.000 mg L-glutamine in every serving
- Includes sodium, potassium, and vitamin B6
- 60 servings per bottle
- Item form: powder
- The delicious lemon-lime flavor
- Ideal to hydrate, recover and rebuild lean muscle mass
- Gluten-free, non-GMO, soy-free
- Sourced from a GMP-certified facility
- Formulated in the USA
Key product ingredients and their positive impact
The ingredients in this product can be broken down into 3 groups:
One serving size (1 scoop) or 6.5 g contains Branched Chain Amino Acids in a ratio of 2:1:1
- L-Leucine 2000 mg
- L-Isoleucine 1000 mg
- L-Valine 1000 mg
1 scoop (one serving size) or 6.5 g contains:
- L-Glutamine 1000 mg
One serving size (1 scoop) or 6.5 g contains:
- Sodium 20mg
- Potassium 37mg
- Vitamin B6 2mg
All the numerous proven effects of BCAA’s, glutamine, and vitamins & minerals as a dietary supplement can be attributed to Swolverine’s BCAA 2:1:1 drink powder as well.
- Prevents muscle mass breakdown (helps you retain your hard-earned muscles) (BCAA/glutamine)
- Stimulates muscle recovery post-workout (BCAA/glutamine)
- Promotes protein synthesis (glutamine)
- Decreases exercise-induced muscle damage (BCAA/glutamine)
- Boosts the immune system (glutamine)
- Reduces delayed onset muscle soreness (glutamine)
- Increases the production and release of growth hormones (glutamine)
- Maximizes hydration (due to electrolytes)
- Fat-burning benefits due to amino acid isoleucine (BCAA)
- Vitamin B6 helps the body convert protein, carbs, and fat to energy to fuel performance
- Sodium helps improve performance by balancing fluids, aiding in muscle contractions, and serving as a natural source of electrolytes
- Potassium helps keep your muscles healthy by repairing them faster and more efficiently
Key benefits of Swolverine BCAA 2:1:1 Powder
These are the key benefits of Swolverine’s BCAA 2:1:1 drink powder:
- A 6.5 g serving has a 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAs (recommended ratio)
- Includes sodium and potassium
- Dissolves well in water
- Third-party tested
- Reasonable price plus you can subscribe to save on each purchase
Downsides of Swolverine BCAA 2:1:1 Powder
Honestly, there’s not much to complain about with this product. What needs improvement is the following:
- Only 1 flavor is available
- Contains sucralose (artificial sweetener)
Flavors, mix, and taste
A great-tasting flavor in Lemon Lime keeps this product from being dull. This powder really dissolves well in water.
Side effects and warnings
BCAAs are relatively safe because they are normally found in protein in the diet. Studies have shown that short-and long-term glutamine supplementation is also safe in humans. The vitamins and minerals present in this product (in the specified amounts) also do not cause any unwanted effects.
Which company is behind this supplement?
Swolverine is an athlete and active lifestyle brand. Made for the elite athlete and the strong-willed their products were designed to fuel athletic performance.
Suggested use (method of application)
Mix one scoop with 8 oz of water (250 mL) and drink during and after a workout for maximum hydration and recovery.
Do I need BCAA 2:1:1 Powder if my whey or casein protein already contains a sufficient dose of BCAAs?
No, in this case, you don’t need a separate (standalone) BCAA supplement. Many brands of meal-replacement products and protein supplements contain BCAAs and glutamine, making separate supplementation totally unnecessary.
Every better whey protein already contains BCAAs and glutamine (and all other necessary amino acids) in a sufficient dose. For example, 100% Whey Gold Standard from Optimum Nutrition (the best whey protein on the market) provides you with over 4 grams of Glutamine & Glutamic Acid, and 5 grams of BCAAs (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine) per 1 serving (24 g or 1 scoop). Therefore, one protein shake contains more BCAAs and glutamine than this stand-alone supplement. Not to mention that whey protein contains all other amino acids.
Who should buy Swolverine BCAA 2:1:1 Powder?
- People whose diet lacks protein
- Those who don’t use protein powders
- People who want to preserve hard-earned muscles while on a low-calorie diet
- If you want to preserve muscle mass while doing excessive cardio training
- People who want a simple formula that contains only the most important amino acids
Who shouldn’t buy Swolverine BCAA 2:1:1 Powder?
- People whose diet is rich in protein
- Those who use whey protein powders
- Those who just want BCAAs without any additional ingredients
- If you want a variety of flavors to choose from, you won’t find that here
Where to buy & pricing?
If you decide to buy this product the safest option is to make a purchase directly from the company’s official website to ensure original products are delivered to you.
It costs $49.99 for 60 servings ($0.83 per serving). This is the price for the one-time purchase which was valid at the time of writing this review. If you subscribe (products are automatically delivered on your schedule – every 1, 2, 3, or 4 months) you can save 15%.
The price of this product is quite reasonable, especially considering that this product is produced under stringent quality control standards to ensure proper purity and potency. Also, keep in mind that this product also contains glutamine and electrolytes.
Products of similar rank
- Scitec Nutrition: BCAA+ Glutamine Xpress (fortified with taurine)
- Huge Supplements Huge BCAA
- Bodytech BCAA & Glutamine (fortified with Vitamin C)
- MuscleNectar: BCAA + Glutamine
Closing thoughts and summary: Should you buy Swolverine BCAA 2:1:1 Powder?
Swolverine BCAA 2:1:1 powder is an affordable option delivering a 2:1:1 ratio in each serving. While there is only one flavor option, users seem to enjoy the taste. The mix dissolves well in water.
Swolverine BCAA 2:1:1 with Electrolytes
Swolverine BCAA is a great supplement to help with hydration, recovery, and rebuilding after any grueling workout.
Support for claims
Value for the price