Standing Barbell Calf Raise
The standing calf raise has many different variations that you may want to try. Standing barbell calf raise is just one of them. You will use barbell instead of a dumbbells or machine. If you use free weights, place a barbell across the back of your shoulders as you would for squats or lunges. It’s best to take a barbell off a shoulder-height rack than to lift it off the floor.
Exercises with the knees locked (legs fully straight), such as standing barbell calf raises, work the gastrocnemius.
How to Perform Standing Barbell Calf Raise?
Standing Barbell Calf Raise Instructions
Starting position (setup): Grab a barbell with an overhand grip and place it so that is rests comfortably across your upper back (slightly below the neck). Place the ball of each foot on a 25-pound weight plate and lower your heels down to stretch the calves (your heels are touching the ground). Movement (action): Press up as high as you can on your toes and hold the contraction for a two-count before lowering your heels slowly to the starting position with your heels on the floor.
Exercise Key Points to Remember
- Perform standing barbell calf raise inside a squat rack for safety purposes.
- Your hands and feet should be about shoulder-width apart.
- Keep the balls of your feet on the edge of the weight plate.
- Lift your heels by contracting the calf muscles to rise as high as you can on the balls of your feet.
- Your body moves in a vertical descent and ascent. Use the front part of your feet as the activator.
- To help keep your balance, keep your eyes facing forward at all times.
- Keep your torso stationary and perpendicular (upright) to the floor throughout the exercise (spine in an neutral position). Don’t bend your torso to the front or rear. In other words, stand as tall as you can.
- Keep knees straight throughout exercise or bend knees slightly only during stretch. Quadriceps serve as synergists muscle if knees are bent slightly during stretch.
- Do not bounce up from the lowest position to begin the upward movement.
Standing Barbell Calf Raise Variations
This great bodybuilding exercise can be easily replaced if necessary. There are several other ways to perform a standing barbell heel raise.